    SubjectRe: Possible GCC contamination of Linux
    "Richard B. Johnson" wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I spent the weekend trying to track down the reason why Linux (any
    > recent version), complied for a 486-SX (no FPU), will not boot.
    > It crashes during startup, about the time it looks for a PCI bus.
    > The C Compiler (version 2.8.1) was compiled on a i686 machine. If I
    > recompile on a '486, it will generate a Linux image that boots okay.
    > So it looks as though the C Compiler, compiled on a 686, generates 686
    > machine-code instructions. I don't think this is the correct behavior
    > because the gcc command-line contains -m486.

    I think the proper command line should be:

    -m486 # 486 scheduling
    -march=i486 # enable 486-specific instructions
    -msoft-float # disable hardware FPU

    > So, is there the possibility that something from the gcc library gets
    > linked into the kernel? If so, how would I prevent it from happening?

    Why is this a problem?

    Custom driver development | Never worry about theory as long
    Open source programming | as the machinery does what it's
    | supposed to do. -- R. A. Heinlein

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.021 / U:13.392 seconds]