    SubjectRe: Some tests (Was: Probable bug in handling disabled network interfaces (2.2.12))
    On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 wrote:

    > Seems, the confusion is related to the fact, that interface has two modes
    > looking absolutely similarly (except for entry in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/):
    > no IP and addressless IP. ifconfig makes it addressless,
    > magic sequence with adding and deleting ?rap really disables IP.

    I think the biggest confusion comes from the fact that ip-adresses are not
    bound to interfaces, but to the host.
    When I assign an ip to i.e. dummy0 (and interface is up), I would expect
    it to work from inside this host, but not from the outside, as I
    would expect an address on eth0 not to be reachable on eth1 unless I use
    ip_forward==1 .

    After painfull hours of debugging I now think I know how it works (or not
    works in my setup here), but for me it's a bug (some may call it a ugly

    The Internet treats censorship as a routing problem, and routes around it.
    (John Gilmore on

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.018 / U:158.000 seconds]