    SubjectRe: linux memory DOS
    On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Nikolay N. Igotti wrote:

    >I think this is very nasty DOS, which can appear even in real life (
    >i.e. as result of working usual userspace programs, not this "exploit").

    All 2.2.x kernels have also a potential deadlock condition in the
    swapin-code. It spotted it down some month ago. You can trigger it only
    going OOM (causing GFP to fail).

    At first I fixed it in the page-fault generic code, but Linus suggested me
    to do the right thing and to fix it in the core of the page-fault handler
    code (as he did in 2.3.x). This change broken the handle_mm_fault
    interface and so all archs will need to be updated (i386 and Alpha are
    just updated with only my patch applyed). BTW, Alpha was not sending the
    SIGBUS accessing a shared mapping beyond the end of the file (I fixed such
    bug too in the patch).

    Also in i386 now the kernel send a SIGTERM and not a SIGKILL if a process
    running in iopl() > 0 goes OOM (so X won't be able to screw-up your
    display anymore only by going OOM).

    With this patch applyed you can still forbid the admin to alloc the memory
    to run `kill`, but at least the machine won't deadlock.

    But before to try again I suggest you to apply also this performance
    patch and you'll get at least some more performance while the hard-disk
    trashes ;).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.019 / U:5.200 seconds]