    SubjectRe: PCI patch for 2.3.16
    On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:

    > On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Martin Mares wrote:
    > >
    > > o Introduce some mechanism for manual setting of the kernel view
    > > of IRQ's, so that people having motherboards with broken BIOSes
    > > can fix the things manually.
    >
    > As far as I know, the information should be in the ACPI tables, and those
    > should be findable without any BIOS calls.

    I have an early VAIO laptop (PCG-707C) that has USB ports, but nothing
    in the BIOS setup screens to configure/enable them. The laptop came
    with Win95 OSR2 preinstalled, and I can use the USB devices with my
    Logitech scanner in Windows.

    I built the USB drivers in Linux 2.2.10, but when I tried to loaded
    the usb-uhci module, I got EBUSY, because the IRQ registered was 0.
    Apperently, the BIOS initializes the PCI INTERRUPT_LINE register to
    0xff for this device. I can change this value with setpci, but it
    doesn't change the value already stored in the PCI structures in the
    kernel.

    I don't think it's reasonable to expect Sony to update their BIOS on
    this old machine to allow me to program the IRQ. I need a way to tell
    the Linux kernel what IRQ it can use for the USB device.

    cheers,
    Drago

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.023 / U:0.368 seconds]