    SubjectRe: High Performance I/O stuff (more)
    Jayson Nordwick wrote:
    > If you find an available signal, set the handler for it, the block it,
    > this signal number now effectively becomes the completion port. You then
    > can fcntl() a file descriptor with F_SETSIG and the signal number. Then to
    > fetch the blocked signals, use sigwaitinfo(). I guess you could also use
    > aio_{read,write}() and set sigevent appropriately. This actually seems
    > preferable since you can then use aio_return() to find the return value
    > out and use aio_cancel() to cancel the request if wanted.

    You probably don't need the aio_*() interfaces to be honest. It's just as easy
    to set the socket nonblocking and deal with the event system as it is.

    > Basically, unless anybody can see anything wrong with this get to work
    > implementing!

    I really haven't seen any examples of how to work with the event system.

    Attached to this message is a basic example using sigwaitinfo() for linux
    2.2.x and glibc 2.1. Once si_band information is integrated into the stable
    tree, this will actually be an effective way to eliminate polling, although it
    could use a bit of speeding up.

    If I have made any mistakes, please email me. There wasn't that much
    documentation on how to do it correctly.

    Jordan

    --
    Jordan Mendelson : http://jordy.wserv.com
    Web Services, Inc. : http://www.wserv.com[unhandled content-type:application/x-unknown-content-type-cfile]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.968 / U:0.676 seconds]