    Subjectide driver - question

    i need some help.

    i have to write an ide driver for an interface card we made.
    using kernel version 2.2.x i found two files which seems to bee the right
    ones for me. ide.c and ide-disk.c

    i copied ide-disk and changed it so that it is able to talk to our
    interface, compiled it and installed it using insmod. using cat
    /proc/ide/drivers i can see that my subdriver is registered, at least that's
    what i think. but how can i talk to the disk connected to my interface now??
    I expected there would eb some /dev/ide nodes but there none. how can i
    create a node for my device without having a major number. i think all work
    will be done by ide.c but for that there should be some nodes, but on my
    system there are only the hd nodes no ide nodes.

    so please, please can anybody tell me how to correctly register an subdriver
    for my interface and what other steps i have to do to read/write the disk
    connected to my interface.

    by the way, i don't map the io port of my interface. the driver im writing
    reads/writes the interface register directly.

    p.s. i looked through linux/documentation, but it didn't help me much.

    i'll be very happy about an answer

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.288 / U:12.592 seconds]