SubjectRe: IDE Driver in Linux Reports different geometry that Netware during Volume and Partition Create, causing loss of user data under Linux

Everyone else should take note taht AUTO is preferred unless you know how
to force the issue. As for the CMOS probing of drives, I hope that it
goes away a soon as Andries cleans up the geometry mess (of mine).

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Jeff Merkey wrote:

> Andries,
>
> I changed the drive setting to "AUTO" in the CMOS for this drive, and now
> the drive reports 850/63/64. It is interesting to note that there was no
> setting for this disk device that matched any of the configurations you gave
> me. Long ago I wrote an IDE driver on Netware (Wolf Mountain), so I am
> aware of the ability to translate drives into other logical geometries and
> am very famliar with low level IDE stuff (unfortunately). The one thing
> that sucks about IDE and ATA is that both use IO port reads and writes to
> transfer data to and from the disk (which sucks up a lot of bus cycles).
> It's better, however, to get this type of info to the right folks who
> maintain the driver. There are several IDE drivers out there on other OS's
> that for some reason did not implement the new commands for EIDE when they
> came out. I try to focus on the stuff I am supposed to be working on and
> not trying to fix everyone else's bugs, but report then to them instead. I
> did not know if there were underlying hardware issues that I was unaware of
> since it's been about two years since I did any IDE work. I thought someone
> else may be more recently on top of it (like you).
>
> Thanks for the help. I am relieved to know that the Linux IDE drivers are
> not busted and don''t have any cross platform issues that will cuase
> different OS's to report different geometry.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.043 / U:0.088 seconds]