    SubjectRe: > 15,000 Simultaneous Connections
    On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, John Gardiner Myers wrote:

    [snip]
    > NT has solved this whole class of problem with completion ports. They
    > handle the huge-number-of-connection problem well, they handle other
    > types of events, they are SMP-efficient. The concept goes back to the
    > days of VMS, why do unix kernel developers have such a big case of NIH?
    > These select() replacement proposals and POSIX aio have such limited
    > uses. They're crap.

    To quote the document leaked from MS last year on Linux:

    There are literally hundreds of small research projects attempting to
    improve various parts of the Linux OS.
    Some projects include:

    * Linux 2.2 - High Availability features such as deeper RAID support
    (RAID 0, 1, 5 supported today), volume management; file system
    performance improvements; asynchronous I/O & completion ports;
    Ipv6; . An excellent feature summary can be found on:
    http://lwn.net/980730/a/2.2chFinal.html.

    Seems we already have completion ports ;)

    If I recall they were added late in the 2.1.x development cycle, you wasted
    a full head of steam and a batch of flames for nothing I'm afraid.

    Gerhard

    --
    gmack@imag.net

    <>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.