SubjectRe: > 15,000 Simultaneous Connections
Date
> To quote the document leaked from MS last year on Linux:
>
> There are literally hundreds of small research projects attempting to
> improve various parts of the Linux OS.
> Some projects include:

> * Linux 2.2 - High Availability features such as deeper RAID support
> (RAID 0, 1, 5 supported today), volume management; file system
> performance improvements; asynchronous I/O & completion ports;
> Ipv6; . An excellent feature summary can be found on:
> http://lwn.net/980730/a/2.2chFinal.html.

Well, that feature summary is pretty superficial and completely useless to me
and certainly to other folks that are more technical than the average IRC script
kiddie.

> Seems we already have completion ports ;)

I'd like URL to check this out and I'm also curious as to why no one has talked
about it actively on linux-kernel when folks gripe about select()/poll() as and
alternative method for listened to file descriptors.

> If I recall they were added late in the 2.1.x development cycle, you wasted
> a full head of steam and a batch of flames for nothing I'm afraid.

He's right though, select()/poll() is pretty bogus. Using expensive "greater than"
linear search structures pretty backward.

bill

> Gerhard

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.061 / U:0.616 seconds]