SubjectRe: network devices and passing options to kernel
Zack Weinberg wrote:

> Michal Vitecek wrote:
> > hello all,
> >
> > on a server i administrate we have two pci cards - one is DECtupis and
> > the other VIA-rhino. on the boot up, the monolithic kernel detects both
> > of the cards (it's given parameters from the lilo). the problem i have is
> > how can i _force_ the kernel or drivers to accept the order in which i
> > want them.
>
> You can compile both card drivers as modules, then load them in the
> order you want.

None of these work if you have ie. following configuration:
two tulip-cards and 3c905, loading modules in order tulip, 3c905, you get
tulip eth0
tulip eth1
3c905 eth2

order 3c905, tulip gives
3c905 eth0
tulip eth1
tulip eth2

In either case there is no control over which tulip is what ethx.

With current system is is impossible to make config like
tulip eth0
3c905 eth1
tulip eth2
and there is no control over in what actual slot the card is.
solution could be something like
options tulip eth0, slot1, eth2 slot2
of course there is allways the problem that are slots defined top-down
or bottom-up.
another way might be
options tulip eth0 pcidev1, eth2 pcidev2
but then what is the relationship of pcidevs to slots.
.. oh well..
--
Lauri Tischler, Network Admin
Tel: +358-9-47846331 * Mouse movement detected *