    SubjectRe: /proc/cpuinfo verbiage differ unnecessarily between ports...
    This is not true.  There are REAL uses for the call.

    I am currently porting an application from Tru64 with behavior that depends on
    the number of CPUs in the system. (For example, How many buffers should I
    allocate?)

    Sure. I can write some code to parse /proc/stat or /proc/cpuinfo. Tru64 has
    the sysconf(_SC_NPROCESSORS_CONF) call, and it would be nice if Linux did the
    same. (especially since /proc/ has been known to change...)

    Why not have both? Keep /proc/cpuinfo for the perl script, but use
    sysconf(_SC_NPROCESSORS_CONF) for the libraries. Plus, what if people don't
    compile with /proc?

    --Phil

    Compaq: Business Critical Servers Division/Benchmark Performance Engineering
    ---------------- Alpha, The Fastest Processor on Earth --------------------
    Phillip.Ezolt@compaq.com |C|O|M|P|A|Q| ezolt@perf.zko.dec.com

    On 1 Sep 1999, Jes Sorensen wrote:

    > David> In article <linux.kernel.d3r9kjzjjl.fsf@lxp03.cern.ch>, Jes
    > David> Sorensen <Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch> wrote:
    > >> Since none of the info in /proc/cpuinfo should be of interest to
    > >> any tools
    >
    > David> Why not? I'd say that the contents of /proc/cpuinfo would
    > David> be very interesting to tools, because it's what the operating
    > David> system thinks it's running on.
    >
    > Why, it's a name of the CPU, MMU and FPU a bunch of version levels and
    > a list of bugs. In principle these are of no interest to user space
    > applications except for "my **** is bigger than your ****"
    > applications.
    >
    > Now while we are at it, please fix your mail client to stop eating the
    >
    > Jes
    >
    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.034 / U:61.836 seconds]