SubjectRe: /proc/cpuinfo verbiage differ unnecessarily between ports...
On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 05:17:23PM -0700, david parsons wrote:

> Why not? I'd say that the contents of /proc/cpuinfo would be very
> interesting to tools, because it's what the operating system thinks
> it's running on.

Would it not be more sensible to introduce a syscall or some such thing to
do it? Surely having the kernel format up nice tables for /proc, and then
applications reading and parsing it all back again, is a bit pointless. Leave
the files in /proc for humans. We've got sysctl for tunable parameters,
is there a parallel that could be used for read-only info?

"Damaged people are dangerous, they know they can survive"