SubjectRe: info format (was Re: Linux 2.2.11pre4)
On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, Nathan Hand wrote:

>> >man -s perl chop, then put all perl manpages in /usr/man/manperl. this is
>> >an entirely solvable problem using the existing man package.
>>
>> [root@asdf sysconfig]# man -s perl chop
>> man: invalid option -- s
>> man, version 1.5f
>
>Bah, don't play dumb: man -S perl chop.

To be quite honest, I was not "playing dumb". I know of the "-a,
and -k" options to man, and when you suggested "-s" I tried it
and it did not work. I did not do a "man man" to look further,
as I figured that either you were wrong, or had a newer version
of man than did I.

When I execute the above command now I get:

[root@asdf /etc]# man -S perl chop
No manual entry for chop

So, I have yet to see what you're describing. And I'm NOT
playing dumb this time either.

>A quick demonstration with man version 1.5d on a work machine.
>
> $ pwd
> /usr/man/manperl
> $ ls
> chop.perl
> $ man -S perl chop
> chop(perl) Perl Programmers Reference Guide chop(perl)
>
>More advanced versions of the man package support "subsections", so you
>can type "man -e perl chop" and view the man page chop(3perl).
>
>You don't need hyperlinked manuals. The "man" system is admittedly old
>and cruddy, but well written and organised man pages make it better. I
>don't think the current perlfunc(3) man page is very useful at all. It
>would be far better to also have chop(perl) or chop(3perl).

[root@asdf /etc]# cd /usr/man/manperl
bash: /usr/man/manperl: No such file or directory

--
Mike A. Harris Linux advocate GNU advocate
Computer Consultant Open Source advocate

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot...