    SubjectRe: New resources - pls, explain :-(

    > Either it tries to allocate too much (everything), or not enough. The
    > basic problem is that it really isn't how a driver works.
    > It can cerainly be thought of as a _helper_ function for one specific
    > common case, but it cannot and should not be thought upon as the
    > fundamental form of resource allocation. If a driver wants to just
    > allocate the ports by hand, that makes in my opinion as much if not more
    > sense than to call a "acquire_pci_dev" thing.

    In case of usual PCI devices using functions properly allocating
    all the regions is just enough. For the other cases, drivers should
    be allowed to allocate the resources on their own. Okay?

    Have a nice fortnight
    Martin `MJ' Mares <>
    "Error: Compiler unable to abort!"

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.019 / U:21.392 seconds]