SubjectRe: info format (was Re: Linux 2.2.11pre4)
On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Alan Curry wrote:

> Robert G. Brown writes the following:
> >
> >To summarize; it is a whole lot less important to me that a
> >documentation mechanism be user-friendly or hypertext linked or fancy
> >than it is that the documents therein be correct and that there be one
> >correct and consistent way to access any piece of "manual" type
> >information available on the system. The manual mechanism should also
> What we need is a group of people - not many, just 10 or so - who are willing
> to write the man pages for things that obviously _should_ have man pages but
> don't. Like libc6. Let's ask the Linux man-pages maintainer... [added to Cc:
> line]... Andries, what's your feeling on the direction of section 3 man
> pages? They currently mostly document libc5, but they are being distributed

As one of those who bitched I ought to volunteer to update at least some
of the defunct/missing/broken man pages. Good way to learn stuff, if
nothing else. I'm obviously not the right person to coordinate things
though; consider me volunteered as a reasonably literate flunky.

> Those of us who want man pages to survive need to organize and start writing
> them. If such organization has already happened, someone point me to their
> TODO list so I can get started. If not, let's get going, before it's too late.

I agree wholeheartedly.

rgb

Robert G. Brown http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/
Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567 Fax: 919-660-2525 email:rgb@phy.duke.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:1.334 / U:0.036 seconds]