    SubjectRe: New resources - pls, explain :-(

    torvalds@transmeta.com said:
    > There are actually a number of BIOSes that have an option to enable
    > _nothing_ but the actual devices needed for booting.

    That option is the "Plug&Play OS" option. some BIOSes think that
    when the OS supports plug&play, it handles PCI bus mapping as well.
    Windows95 in fact do. Windows NT does not, Linux does not.

    Anyhow, this BIOS option is a bit of insanity that often I wished
    never existed. I write both NT and Linux drivers, and this BIOS behavior
    has caused NT device drivers to go haywire. Windows95 users seem to
    think that WindowsNT is a PnP O/S. Hah! And imagine the stress and
    confusion for users who dual boot NT and '95:-)

    --
    Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    steve@icarus.com But I have promises to keep,

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.018 / U:59.344 seconds]