    From said:
    > There are actually a number of BIOSes that have an option to enable
    > _nothing_ but the actual devices needed for booting.

    That option is the "Plug&Play OS" option. some BIOSes think that
    when the OS supports plug&play, it handles PCI bus mapping as well.
    Windows95 in fact do. Windows NT does not, Linux does not.

    Anyhow, this BIOS option is a bit of insanity that often I wished
    never existed. I write both NT and Linux drivers, and this BIOS behavior
    has caused NT device drivers to go haywire. Windows95 users seem to
    think that WindowsNT is a PnP O/S. Hah! And imagine the stress and
    confusion for users who dual boot NT and '95:-)

    Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and lines to code before I sleep, And lines to code before I sleep."

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.018 / U:7.252 seconds]