From said:
> There are actually a number of BIOSes that have an option to enable
> _nothing_ but the actual devices needed for booting.

That option is the "Plug&Play OS" option. some BIOSes think that
when the OS supports plug&play, it handles PCI bus mapping as well.
Windows95 in fact do. Windows NT does not, Linux does not.

Anyhow, this BIOS option is a bit of insanity that often I wished
never existed. I write both NT and Linux drivers, and this BIOS behavior
has caused NT device drivers to go haywire. Windows95 users seem to
think that WindowsNT is a PnP O/S. Hah! And imagine the stress and
confusion for users who dual boot NT and '95:-)

Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and lines to code before I sleep, And lines to code before I sleep."