    SubjectRe: what is net-pf-17?
    Hi Drago, Marty.

    >> I have a 2.0.36 kernel (which works with 2.3.*) which is using
    >> dhcp...

    >> I'm getting a message
    >> modprobe can't find net-pf-17
    >> and dhcp fails...

    >> What is net-pf-17?

    > It's the packet protocol family (AF_PACKET/PF_PACKET). Check
    > out all the address/protocol family defintions in <socket.h>.

    >> Is there a table of what net-pf-xx means? (I know appletalk and
    >> ipx are 4 and 5). Can more meaningful messages be displayed
    >> (this is fundamentally a redhat 5.2 system).

    > This is what modprobe is given by the kernel to locate the
    > driver for this protocol. Add this to your /etc/conf.modules:

    > alias net-pf-17 af_packet

    > And make sure you've configured CONFIG_PACKET as a module:

    For reference, here's the valies I've managed to identify...

    Q> Modprobe Identifier Possible Identifier
    Q> ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Q> net-pf-1 unix
    Q> net-pf-2 ipv4
    Q> net-pf-3 ax25
    Q> net-pf-4 ipx
    Q> net-pf-5 appletalk
    Q> net_pf_6 netrom
    Q> net_pf_8 atmpvc
    Q> net_pf_9 x25
    Q> net_pf_10 ipv6
    Q> net_pf_11 rose
    Q> net_pf_12 decnet
    Q> net_pf_13 netbeui
    Q> net_pf_16 netlink
    Q> net-pf-17 packet
    Q> net_pf_18 ash
    Q> net_pf_19 econet
    Q> net_pf_20 atmsvc
    Q> net_pf_22 sna
    Q> net_pf_23 irda

    The 'possible identifier' column is where I have identified the
    protocol being referred to, but have no info as to the actual protocol
    identifier to use. Basically, if you have the relevant protocol as a
    module for your current kernel, look for a module with a name similar
    to those given, probably to be found in...

    /lib/modules/`uname -r`/net/

    Best wishes from Riley.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.020 / U:8.848 seconds]