    SubjectRe: bzImage patch ? for monolithic kernels
    On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

    > On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 09:51:27AM -0500, Matthew G. Marsh wrote:
    > > Is there a known method/patch/etc to making a monolithic kernel under
    > > 2.3.xx without modules. I kept getting the "System too big" crap and
    > > dutifully used modules but I am trying to figure out if a monolithic
    > > kernel will ever be supported again.
    > `make bzImage'. Any chance of making this the default and retaining
    > an `ozImage' target for the times when bzImages won't work?
    > --
    > Matthew Wilcox <>
    > "Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of
    > specific companies. Unix, by contrast, is not so much a product as it is a
    > painstakingly compiled oral history of the hacker subculture." - N Stephenson

    I should clarify - 8-}

    I am using bzImage. I get the following errors that are all related to the
    fact that the kernel size is > 1 Meg.

    Root device is (8, 1)
    Boot sector 512 bytes.
    Setup is 3440 bytes.
    System is 1036 kB
    System is too big. Try using modules.
    make[1]: *** [bzImage] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory
    make: *** [bzImage] Error 2

    Anyone know a fix? I know that some previous debate had raged about
    bzImage should be able to handle up to 16M kernel sizes but have found no
    data/patches/etc on what to do to get past 1M.

    Matthew G. Marsh, President
    Paktronix Systems LLC
    1506 North 59th Street
    Omaha NE 68104
    Phone: (402) 932-7250

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.023 / U:1.680 seconds]