SubjectRe: Saving device driver state during shutdown
On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, David Woodhouse wrote:

<SNIPPED>

> The former is fairly simple. The latter involves some thought - the preremove
> scripts don't get executed for auto-cleaned modules, and having a daemon to
For a while, the guy who was working on the modutils overhaul (right after
2.2 came out) said that one of the next enhancements he was working on was
moving the autoclean reaper logic into userspace so that we could use
pre-removal scripts. Did anything ever come of that?

> periodically record the settings will just mean that the module _never_ gets
> unloaded, because it's never idle. Perhaps a printk just before unloading, or
> perhaps the module itself can exec() a process to grab the levels.
You could fairly easily extend the kmod functionality to do that - in
fact, most of the changes would be user-space. In the module, add in
request_module("sound-settings-save");

and then have modprobe take proper care of the sound-settings-save option
to run the settings saving program.

Greg Zornetzer - gaz+@andrew.cmu.edu
"Light shines brightest in the darkest night"
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~gaz

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.034 / U:0.220 seconds]