    SubjectRe: First WinModem for Linux
    Date
    People hate winmodems because in general, they are crap.
    I worked Helldesk for 6 months and had more exposure to Winmodems (thats all
    they seem to be putting in computers anymore <sigh>) than I care to.
    In general, you are relying on OS and CPU Functions to use your modem. In
    general, it has been my experience that whenever the CPU or the OS 'burps'
    (which we all know Windows is more than happy to do as many times as it can get
    away with it), the connection drops.

    Now i'm not saying that this is going to happen with Linux - in general i feel
    that linux is much more stable and consistant than windows. But there are so
    many pitfalls in relying on software to run a piece of hardware that it just
    leaves too many possibilities. I would *much* rather put out the extra money
    for a decent modem than deal with my $10 modem acting crappy and dropping
    anytime i was, for example, running a heavy processor load.....

    Just my $3.......

    --
    Brendan W. McAdams | H: (305)859-2181
    Programmer/Systems Administrator | W: (305)377-2880

    "Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then
    do it. "
    -- Robert A. Heinlein

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:2.344 / U:0.024 seconds]