SubjectRe: ISDN and the feature freeze (was: no driver change for 2.4?)
On Thu 05 Aug 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Paul Slootman wrote:
> >
> > working. Would you consider me as your sole contact with the ISDN
> > developers?
>
> It needs to be more than one person agreeing, but yes, I'd love to have a
> contact person. You need to make the other ISDN developers accept you as
> more than just the person who forwards patches to Linus. The problem is
> that sometimes I do not like a patch, and then there needs to be some kind
> of feedback cycle. It doesn't happen all that often when it comes to

This is being cc'ed into the isdn developers mailing list, so they're
following this (I hope :-). I've been able to convince them of a
couple of things in the past, so I think that acting as a two-way
gateway shouldn't be a problem. In cases anyone needs to contact any
or all of the developers for any reason, the
i4ldeveloper@listserv.isdn4linux.de list will work.

> In short, the ISDN code in Linux acts as if it was a traditional code
> project where the users might as well just have binaries.
>
> The point of open development is that people see what's going on. You
> don't get that if people see just the end result after a year. You want to
> have random people just see small updates - because they will often catch
> silly mistakes.
>
> Now, with huge mega-patches, people just go numb. They say "oh, an ISDN
> update", and skip it.

True. Point taken.

I'll wait until tomorrow or perhaps this weekend (Karsten Keil, the hisax
man, is on vacation and due back this weekend I understand, and I think
that as least he should be in on this). At that point I'll contact you
offlist to work out details.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/