    SubjectRe: ide-scsi emulation question
    On 08/04/1999 15:25 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:

    >> AFAIK, you can't get just the ZIP drive working with IDE-SCSI. I know
    >> that with CDROM drives, if you compile in IDE CD support, it gets used
    >> instead of the IDE-SCSI. So, you leave out IDE CD support, include
    >> IDE-SCSI, and include SCSI CD. In this case, you'd have to leave out IDE
    >> disk support, which means that your hard drive would be using IDE SCSI
    >> (which I don't think will work as hard drives aren't ATAPI). Just include
    >> the IDE Floppy support to get your IDE zip working :)

    Maybe others have had better luck with the IDE Zip as IDE
    Floppy configuration; I've had no luck at all with it -
    including several kernel hangs in the ext2fs code (but
    not related to ext2fs - related to the IDE Floppy API
    and it's mismatch with the Zip drive functionality). I've
    also seen several FAQs stating that using ide-scsi is the
    best way to get an IDE Zip working reliably.

    Meanwhile, it does work fine with the IDE code running
    my hard drive(s) and CD-ROM, and the ide-scsi running the
    Zip. The only nuisance is the need to manually do an
    'insmod scsi_mod; insmod ide-scsi' in the startup files.
    I had to exclude the IDE Floppy code from the kernel/modules.

    tw

    --
    | Tim Walberg | Phone: 847-782-2472 |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.020 / U:95.684 seconds]