    SubjectRe: PATCH: PCI changes for pre-2.3.16-1

    > If you want to make life easier, just do a
    > char * pci_slot_fmt(struct pci_dev *dev)
    > {
    > static char fmt[10];
    > sprintf(fmt, "%d:%d:%d", BUS(dev), SLOT(dev), FN(dev));
    > return fmt;
    > }

    Writing functions returning pointers to static data is just a subscription
    for the magic bug of the week contest. I don't want to have to take care
    of "you cannot print two slot names in one printk" type things.

    > if it's the re-typing of the stuff you object to, and you just want to
    > have one place to change when you want to change the way you print out
    > devices. I'd certainly agree with that kind of thing.

    I want to save re-typing and also to unify the format of PCI slot numbers
    printed at various places in the kernel. Also, it saves a bit of space
    since the cached string takes only 8 bytes which is certainly less than
    what does passing of two extra parameters to a single printk take.

    Also, adding a slot name to struct pci_dev seems to be the simplest
    and lowest-overhead solution I see.

    > And I'd even agree to caching the string if I thought it had some reason
    > for it (performance, clarity, whatever), but as it stands I feel that
    > calling it "name" just confuses the issue completely and brings no real
    > advantage.

    If you see the primary problem in "name" being confusing, I can
    simply change it to "slot_name" to make the things clearer.

    Have a nice fortnight
    Martin `MJ' Mares <>
    "Dijkstra probably hates me." -- /usr/src/linux/kernel/sched.c

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.021 / U:0.756 seconds]