    SubjectRe: idea: MAC level compression & crypto
    On Sat, Aug 28, 1999 at 03:04:59PM -0500, Tymm Twillman wrote:
    > Does this apply even if they aren't "for" crypto, but just happen to be
    > good places for crypto code to latch on to? How is it decided? I mean,
    > couldn't a call to main() be considered a crypto hook?

    It is certainly in the government's best interest to be vague about
    exactly what is covered by crypto regs, and they are. The US crypto
    regulations get their power because they can intimidate people into
    not doing things that the courts would not let them outlaw. The more
    precisly the regulations are defined the less intimidating they are.

    If you want to know the answer to your question, basically you have to
    go ahead and do it and see if they try to put you in jail. If you are
    like me you don't want to do this. See why its vague?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.018 / U:5.400 seconds]