SubjectRe: PnP driver can't activate SB AWE 64
Date
Followup to:  <37C9DEF4.FD4D9BD0@zeor.simegen.com>
By author: Dancer <dancer@zeor.simegen.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> I had no luck...at least not until I told the BIOS to configure it. Then
> my problems pretty much stopped. It seems a trifle disheartening,
> though, that there doesn't seem to be any simple ways to config up
> PnP/PCI devices....not without many many hours of hacking. Some sort of
> device configuration db would be nice. We could then write a simple
> interface to config devices to specific settings or to let them get
> autoconfigged.
>
> ..Hmm. Maybe I'm talking through my hat here. Obviously the place for
> device configuration is the driver...and therefore, equally obviously (I
> hope) there should be a PnP/PCI config layer underneath that they can
> use and talk to.
>
> Is there? Am I missing the point?

Yes, it isn't "obviously" the place at all.

However, the SB AWE series all have a severe bug in their PnP
information; specifically, the WaveTable device ("CTL009C" or
"CTL00E4" on the two cards I have) claims to want a single I/O address
at 0x0620; in fact, it wants *three* addresses (at 0x0620, 0x0A20,
0x0E20) and they all have to be activated. Every single AWE card I
have seen has this bug.

-hpa