SubjectRe: ps m for threads option
Date
Hello,

Linux kernel does not have "full" thread support ? Could you be more precise ?
What do you think could be possible let's say like this:

process 1
|_____ thread 1
|_____ thread 2

and if you "ps auxm" you must see this tree on ps ?

I am waiting from you more details about how-to /proc for Solaris to add
support in Linux.

Rgds,
Stef

On Tue, 03 Aug 1999, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> Stefan Parvu writes:
>
> > Using 2.2.5-22 kernel and ps procps version 2.0.2 there is a flag
> > for ps, m showing the threads. Could somebody tell me what version
> > I should use of ps and of the kernel to have access to threads ?
>
> The "m" option is forced on, since the kernel does not have full
> thread support. Threads look just like processes.
>
> I'd like to fix this. At a very minimum, I need a way to identify
> tasks that share address space. This is poor though, since I would
> have to make ps sort processes by default. I think ps should be
> somewhat fast by default.
>
> I'd really like the same /proc files as Solaris has. Then I could
> quickly identify threads.
>
> BTW, I'm also hoping for a /proc/*/tty "link" that points to the
> tty device.
>
> I'll get all this done in a few years if I don't get any help.
> Anybody dislike waiting that long? Give it a shot.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.052 / U:1.420 seconds]