SubjectRe: Your backup is unsafe!
Hi Khimenko.

>>> I was just looking up how VFAT works, and yes, the 8.3 and LFN
>>> versions of the filename are independant. The 8.3 version is
>>> stored normally, but the LFN version is stored in directory
>>> entries with the hidden, read-only, system and volume label
>>> attributes. This way, if you boot into an old version of DOS,
>>> DOS only sees the 8.3 versions of the names, but in Windows 9x
>>> the filesystem is handled by a special 32bit driver that gives
>>> programs that can use it the long version.

> Unfortunatelly you missed one TINY problem: checksum of short
> filename is stored in long filesname. So they are NOT
> independant. Not at all.

If you're going to be so picky, at least be accurate !!!

The checksum of the associated short filename is stored in the LFN
records, yes, but it is stored there INDEPENDANT of the LFN that is in
those records. Therefore the LFN and 8.3 filenames themselves ARE
independant of each other - it would be no problem to implement a
rename function that correctly renamed either the LFN or 8.3 filenames
without affecting the other.

Best wishes from Riley.