    SubjectRe: modutils check for SMP
    On Sat, Aug 28, 1999 at 03:23:50PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > There is CONFIG_MODVERSIONS which should prevent any module incompatibiliti=
    > > es.
    >
    > It does

    Sure.

    > So basically you are saying "It exists, but I dont want to use it, however
    > I'd like to whine anyway".
    >
    > Modversions is designed to catch all potential compatiblity cases across
    > kernel rebuilds, not just SMP. If you reconfigure/recompile and structs change
    > size it will do its job.

    I found modules not loading in spite of being well compatible with the
    kernel. Maybe the mechanism works better, now, I didn't check. Do they?

    That's why I'd like SMP being stored in the kernel version for the modules
    and for the kernel, just like an extraversion. Easy and functional, also
    without MODVERSIONS.

    Regards,
    --
    Kurt Garloff <garloff@suse.de> Wuppertal, FRG
    PGP2 key: See mail header, key servers Linux kernel development

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.021 / U:1.584 seconds]