SubjectRe: rsh problem (update)
On 27 Aug, david parsons wrote:
| In article <>,
| Michael H. Warfield <> wrote:
| >Kamran Karimi enscribed thusly:
| >> ceases to work after 10 or 12 invocations. The error message is still
| >> "poll: protocol failure in circuit setup"
| > Try it again with ssh. Rsh is a pimple on the ass of the internet
| >and should be stamped out and obliterated.
| Well, that's certainly one way to improve the reliability of a system,
| but if you say that everything that finds a bug in the kernel should
| be obliterated, you'll soon end up with a system that's trivially
| reliable, but not very useful in the real world.

rsh has much bigger problems than security. Such as TCP/IP protocol
(almost-?)violations, as I understand it, due to the attempt to hack an
"out of band" semantic where it doesn't exist.

| david parsons \bi/ Not likely to tell the users to use ssh for local
| \/ connections.

You've obviously not had to deal with a university network. :-/

brandon s. allbery os/2,linux,solaris,perl
system administrator kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt
carnegie mellon / electrical and computer engineering kf8nh