SubjectRe: rsh problem (update)
On 27 Aug, david parsons wrote:
+-----
| In article <linux.kernel.199908280054.UAA10364@alcove.wittsend.com>,
| Michael H. Warfield <mhw@wittsend.com> wrote:
| >Kamran Karimi enscribed thusly:
| >> ceases to work after 10 or 12 invocations. The error message is still
| >> "poll: protocol failure in circuit setup"
| > Try it again with ssh. Rsh is a pimple on the ass of the internet
| >and should be stamped out and obliterated.
|
| Well, that's certainly one way to improve the reliability of a system,
| but if you say that everything that finds a bug in the kernel should
| be obliterated, you'll soon end up with a system that's trivially
| reliable, but not very useful in the real world.
+--->8

rsh has much bigger problems than security. Such as TCP/IP protocol
(almost-?)violations, as I understand it, due to the attempt to hack an
"out of band" semantic where it doesn't exist.

| david parsons \bi/ Not likely to tell the users to use ssh for local
| \/ connections.
+--->8

You've obviously not had to deal with a university network. :-/

--
brandon s. allbery os/2,linux,solaris,perl allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt allbery@ece.cmu.edu