    SubjectRe: TCP/IP Hangs with 2.2.5 on High Load Server
    > > instances from certain PC's, randomly, where there is no longer any
    > > connectivity to the server. We can't ping the server, and from the
    > > server, we can't ping the workstation. A ping flood on either of them
    > > sometimes fixes the problem. This has gotten to be a pretty big problem,
    > What does tcpdump show during this situation, when run on the Linux end.
    > Losing just a specific machine is very odd and can often point to a problem
    > with a switch/bridge in the middle.

    I'm experiencing a similar problem, but with kernel 2.2.11 (and on a
    much smaller machine: a 200MMX, with 3C509 ethernet card.)

    On HIGH network loads, e.g. 5M file copy via NFS or rcp to/from a
    Solaris server on the same LAN, the PC freezes up as follows:

    - mouse, keyboard do not work any more
    - I cannot telnet to it
    - I cannot get date via UDP
    - I CAN ping it

    So the ethernet card works, ICMP works, while TCP and UDP do not. (Or,
    at least, telnet and date services are down).

    - Marino

    Marino Miculan - JHEP System Engineer -
    SISSA/ISAS - via Beirut, 2-4 - 34014 Trieste (Italy)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.018 / U:9.968 seconds]