    SubjectRe: Cache incoherencies (WAS: New resources - pls, explain :-( )
    > > In order to make something compilable on both coherent and incoherent
    > > archs, we should standardize the #define for the cache line size, add a
    > > routine/macro to query about the coherency of the bus, and provide a
    > > "magic" bit for kmalloc that gives you non cachable space.

    A per bus coherency isn't sufficient. There are architectures which can
    set cache coherency on a per device base. On SMPs this can avoid a
    major amount of cross-CPU invalidates, therefore a good performance gain.
    For architectures like this you want to leave the decission to the
    driver writer.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.035 / U:36.736 seconds]