    SubjectRe: Kernel Panic, root fs..
    On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Tim Ricketts wrote:

    >> > and /lib/modules. I then edit lilo.conf and tell it about the
    >> > new kernel. I don't run rdev, or any other such thing. The
    >> > kernels ALWAYS boot properly, and if I move them to a totally
    >> > different machine, they still work correctly.
    >> >
    >> How do you get away with that? The last time I tried that, the other
    >> machine had the kernel panic, couldn't open initial console, I
    >> ran rdev on it to set the root device, and have been doing it that way
    >> since.
    >By default the kernel has the root device wherever it was when you
    >compiled it. This can be changed with rdev or overridden by putting
    >root=/dev/whatever on your kernel command line which lilo does if you
    >specify root=/dev/whatever in lilo.conf.

    Allright, then that is how it is doing it then. ALL of my
    machines lilo.conf files have always had a "root=" line in them,
    as it defaulted to that, and the HOWTO's I read at the time said
    it was necessary. Makes sense now with your above explanation.

    Thanks, TTYL

    Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
    Computer Consultant GNU advocate
    Capslock Consulting Open Source advocate

    Senior Programmer/Sysadmin - Rooms Plus Travel Guide
    Need accomodations for your next trip?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.024 / U:3.012 seconds]