    SubjectRe: Kernel Panic, root fs..
    On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Tim Ricketts wrote:

    >> > and /lib/modules. I then edit lilo.conf and tell it about the
    >> > new kernel. I don't run rdev, or any other such thing. The
    >> > kernels ALWAYS boot properly, and if I move them to a totally
    >> > different machine, they still work correctly.
    >> >

    >> How do you get away with that? The last time I tried that, the other
    >> machine had the kernel panic, couldn't open initial console, etc...so I
    >> ran rdev on it to set the root device, and have been doing it that way
    >> since.
    >
    >By default the kernel has the root device wherever it was when you
    >compiled it. This can be changed with rdev or overridden by putting
    >root=/dev/whatever on your kernel command line which lilo does if you
    >specify root=/dev/whatever in lilo.conf.

    Allright, then that is how it is doing it then. ALL of my
    machines lilo.conf files have always had a "root=" line in them,
    as it defaulted to that, and the HOWTO's I read at the time said
    it was necessary. Makes sense now with your above explanation.

    Thanks, TTYL

    --
    Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
    Computer Consultant GNU advocate

    Senior Programmer/Sysadmin - Rooms Plus Travel Guide
    Need accomodations for your next trip? http://www.roomsplus.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.020 / U:58.788 seconds]