SubjectRe: PPPoE?
On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Rene Chaddock wrote:

> Are there any plans to implement PPP over Ethernet in the linux kernel?
> The local telco is switching over to an ADSL 'solution' that uses PPPoE,
> and so far it doesn't seem like linux supports it..
>
> any information would be appreciated :)

Rene, I´ve reviewed plenty if info, stripped of the redundand info and
quickly put the links which are useful for developers on a page:

http://www.suse.de/~bk/PPPoE-project.html

Through the first link one finds find the RFC for PPPoE, and much other
info on PPPoE.
The second is a refercence to the PPP over Ethernet Mailinglist and the
third is a link to the Ethereal protocol analyzer which is said to have
PPPoE support.

There exist (at least) 2 Linux Client Implementations for PPPoE. One from
Network TeleSystems(NTS), which (what I´ve heard) is a 100% user mode piece
which converts asyncronous HDLC-framed PPP frames from the PPP stack to
non HDLC-framed PPPoE frames and communicates with the Kernel over ptys.

The other Client Implementation is made by somebody I´ve a contact to. He
has also made a PPPoE Server for Linux and his client code likely does
the same as the NTS code, except that it avoids the HDLC layer with a
kernel patch, which is a good thing even if the rest is still implemented
user space.

Since we have a generic PPP layer in 2.3 now, a native (full-performant)
in-kernel PPPoE layer should be much easyer to do for the new PPP code.

The think I´ve not looked yet too deep is where to put the connection to
the ethernet layer. Comments on this would be very welcome.

I can´t say excatly when this new pppoe-layer will be there because I´m
in terrible need of the two-week vacation I´m going to take now, but I
hope I'll have an PPPoE test environment up and running after it and at
least participate in pppoe testing and development.

best regards, bernd

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.052 / U:0.076 seconds]