SubjectRe: Huge patches such as ISDN

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Kurt Garloff wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 04:15:52AM -0700, M Carling wrote:
> >
> > I've been thinking about the huge ISDN patch for a few weeks now.
> >
> > I agree completely with Linus that huge patches should not be accepted at
> > feature freeze time. As Linus has pointed out, they cannot be properly
> > reviewed in the short time before the kernel is declared "stable". On the
> > other hand, the work that the ISDN developers have done should make it
> > into the tree. Asking them to submit small patches has been futile in the
> > past and I don't see any reason to believe this will change.
>
> Have you ever conducted a software project?

Yes.

> Then you should try to stay in
> sync with other developers, otherwise things go bad. Unfortunately (and for
> reasons that have already been discussed) this has happened to the ISDN
> project.
> Now this has to be solved.
> Somehow the current ISDN CVS code has to be sync'ed with the kernel.

Agreed.

> Do you really think it would be best to split the diffs up into a
lot of
> small pieces?

I didn't suggest that it should.

> And you don't expect the ISDN developers to throw away their one year's work
> and start from scratch, do you?

No. I didn't suggest that they should.

> Your request is very valid, though, once the initial large patch has been
> merged. You should not allow to loose sync again, then.

You seem to miss my point. We agree that there is a huge patch which
needs to be merged. The only question is when. I suggest that the safest
time to merge a huge patch is at the beginning of a development kernel
cycle.

M Carling

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:1.142 / U:0.776 seconds]