    SubjectRe: Cache incoherencies (WAS: New resources - pls, explain :-( )
    On Tue, Aug 24, 1999, Philip Blundell <> wrote:

    >>Non-cache coherent archs should probably
    >>define a kmalloc flag to allocate non cachable space. (I still don't know
    >>what is the cleanest way to get non-cachable space. ioremap ?).
    >Ioremap won't necessarily work on physical RAM. You should probably define
    >vmalloc_uncached or some such.

    I'm not terribly familiar with Linux VM, and so I'm not completely sure
    how to implement vmalloc_uncached on ARM. I'm wondering if I need to
    re-implement all of vmalloc sub-routines (alloc_area_pmd_uncached,
    alloc_area_pte_uncached) changing the set_pte call to have the
    appropriate attributes ? (BTW. what's the meaning of L_PTE_BUFFERABLE ?).

    or can I just alloc the area and then make pages non-cachable using
    pte_modify afterwards ? In this case I'm not sure how to walk the PTEs...

    Also alloc_are_pte makes several calls to __get_free_page, so I beleive
    there's no way to make sure they are physically contiguous, is there ?
    (note that in our case, on page should be plenty enough)

    Perso. e-mail: <>
    Work e-mail: <>
    BenH. Web : <>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.025 / U:8.632 seconds]