    SubjectRe: Streaming disk I/O kills file buffering and makes Linux unusable
    > Will future kernels ave an O_DIRECT like flag to avoid caching ?

    Stephen Tweedie has written a patch for unbuffered I/O; the URL I have
    from some time ago is

    though this host doesn't seem to respond at the moment. I believe
    Stephen has mentioned that this will go into the main tree at some point.
    (Possibly it's already in 2.3.x---I haven't looked recently.)

    > I think without some buffer-cache usage limiting, or buffering disabling,
    > Linux is actually UNSUITABLE for streaming applications which do run
    > concurrently with other apps.

    I agree; the raw-io system will make this much more pleasant.

    Peter Monta
    Imedia Corp.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.020 / U:19.572 seconds]