    SubjectRe: Kernels > 1M
    Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:
    > Zack Weinberg <zack@bitmover.com> writes:
    > > >
    > > > The 16-bit setup code *has* to run in real mode... that's the only
    > > > reason it's 16 bit. As far as the APM BIOS, I'm sure you're aware of
    > > > the number of problems caused by APM BIOSes that don't like to be called
    > > > the way Linux calls them?
    > >
    > > I'll defer to you since you know more about x86 than me, but I don't
    > > see why it's necessary to do any of the setup.S sequence in real
    > > mode. Especially since the BSDs seem to manage it in protected mode
    > > fine.
    >
    > BSD uses a two-stage bootloader. The second stage is usually a file
    > called "boot" in the root directory of the root partition which is
    > "tied" to the real-mode bootstrap by a utility program in the same way
    > that vmlinuz'es are tied to the lilo bootstrap via the lilo program.

    I know - and /boot does do a lot of the work that our setup.S does.
    But it's written mostly in C and it does everything from protected
    mode. Look at /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot - my copy is from
    FreeBSD 3.2, but the code hasn't changed much since 1992.

    They do it, we can do it too.

    zw

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.030 / U:149.144 seconds]