    SubjectRe: Kernels > 1M
    Derek Wildstar wrote:

    > > > It would suck... because you just invented *yet another* format
    > > > incompatible with all the rest.
    > >
    > > I don't see why a plain ELF executable (possibly gzipped) is yet
    > > another format.
    >
    > Seems booting an uncompressed kernel directly from the FS would be the
    > sensible way to go...especially if this loader manages to get around
    > the 1024-cylinder BIOS limit. Every commercial UNIX i have worked with
    > has done this....I fail to see how we'd be creating an incompatible
    > format? Please elaborate =)
    >
    > -dwild

    Is it compatible with existing boot loaders? No? Then guess what that
    is... INCOMPATIBLE!

    Not to mention it would have to be made to work with initrd, etc; a new
    boot protocol needs to be created entirely. That is not inherently a
    bad idea, but incompatibility is a high price that demands a high
    payoff.

    -hpa

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.023 / U:29.912 seconds]