SubjectRe: Anti-SPAM Suggestion...
"Mike A. Harris" <mharris@meteng.on.ca> said:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

[...]

> >I have about a dozen places where I can RECEIVE email, and my postings
> >could come from any of them, but I have set them all up to show the
> >same FROM address when I SEND emails out. As a result, I can see no
> >need to support more than one email address per person.

> No need for it if everyone uses PINE 4.10 with the "Roles"
> feature. But if you use Netscape or most other mailers, you're
> stuck with one of:

No. All mailing list packages I know of have a feature of subscribers and
people allowed to post. If you want to post, you have to be on the
"poster" list, if you want to get the list, you'd be a "subscriber". You'd
usually place the subscribers into the poster category, add a bounce for
non-susbcribed people, and have "somebody" take care of subscribing the
poster to the "poster" list and forward the message to the list
proper. That's essentially what I do by hand with a 500-people linux list
around here, configured such that "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" messages to
the list also get to me first, just in case ;-)

The problem here is finding that "somebody", and ensuring {,s}he doesn't
get overwhelmed, and that response times stay low. Some questions then:

- How much traffic on the list is generated by non-subscribers?
- Is there any simple way to spread the load, i.e., get the questionable
messages to a _list_ of whitewashers, and post the message &c when _one_
of them OKes it?
- I assume there are possibilities for automated checks, like the RBL, and
AFAIK they are in use. Any others that could be helpful here?

SPAM and other abuse handling is _not_ simple, the abusers thankfully stay
one or two steps behind in technical savvy, but you are forced to work on
it every day, least they catch up.
--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl