SubjectRe: Your backup is unsafe!

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

> > Wonderful. So you are going to accept the situation when
> > renaming one of the links makes another disappear?
>
> OK then, delete this option and replace the word "DIRECTORY" with
> "DIRECTORY or FILE" in option 3. I don't see the necessity for that,
> but if you feel uncomfortable with consistant behaviour...

This behaviour is *inconsistent*. rename() affects *links*, not files.
It cannot and should not know about other links to file. Learn the OS you
are using, damnit. Learn the bloody difference between the link and file.

> Try the following:
>
> Q> cd /mnt
> Q> mkdir a b
> Q> mount -t XXX /dev/fd0 a
> Q> mount -t YYY /dev/fd1 b
> Q> cd a
> Q> set > eg1
> Q> ln eg1 eg2
> Q> cp eg* ../b
>
> For it to be correct behaviour, the result of the last step should be
> INDEPENDANT of the values of XXX and YYY in the above. Anything else
> is BROKEN in my honest opinion.
>
> Note that arguments about the ln step failing are NOT relevant, so
> don't waste your time on them. This is a discussion about the actual
> behaviour on fs's where at least one hard link is supported, as it
> would be on VFAT under the proposed semantics.

*One* link is always supported. You mean 2. Your proposed semantics is
*not* a semantics of hardlink.

> On an EXT2 fs, what happens when one tries to move a file to an
> existing file that is marked IMMUTABLE (as I suggested above) ?
> Whatever happens there should also happen here.

So you are making the files with long names immutable??? Attributes belong
to *file*, not *link*.

> > If you consider the whole thing as hardlinks you should end up
> > with (a) Anti.... with the same contents as it used to have and
> > (b) foo being renamed. Great, now we have to generate a new
> > short name.
>
> Why?

Because the long name survived and it bloody has an 8+3 record, thus the
prohibited name. If the long name doesn't survive - you got a proof that
those are not hardlinks.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.187 / U:0.136 seconds]