SubjectRe: What's this?
On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 04:09:06AM -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> >Check your SMART status, it may be failing.

> How does one check the SMART status? I have asked a couple of
> times on different forums and not received an answer.

*nods* It's - probably - a useful feature / technology, but I can't find any
info on it (but I'm probably looking in the wrong place). I *do* have a
utility called simply 'smart', with no author information; I think I culled
it from this list a while back. I've put it on
http://www.loth.demon.co.uk/smart.c (it's 4422 bytes). Unfortunately I don't
completely understand the output. I also don't know what the drive behaviour
is when it detects it's failing -- some of the output suggests it may auto-
offline itself, but I don't know if you have to enable any options on the
drive for that to happen. It would also be nice if there was some way the
IDE drivers could detect this (maybe they do).

--
UNIX - saving you from the Gates of hell