    SubjectRe: What is the right type to store virtual address ?

    On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Petr Vandrovec wrote:
    > if we are talking about endianess, I have one related small
    > question: in variable of which type I should store return
    > value from ioremap() ?

    It shouldn't much matter for the simple reason that the only thing you can
    do with the return value from ioremap() is to pass it in to read[bwl]()
    and friends, and they (for historical reasons) accept both a pointer and a

    So you might as well toss a coin - it has to be something you can do
    arithmetic on because I want people to be able to just say "base+offset",
    but again "unsigned long" and "void *" are equivalent on gcc in that
    regard. If it wasn't for the arithmetic issue I'd just make it a special
    type altogether to make the compiler warn about misuses.

    For _true_ cleanliness, it should probably be something like

    typedef struct {
    unsigned long base;
    } io_base_t;

    * The ISA legacy region 640kB-1M is always mapped,
    * here's the base
    extern io_base_t isa_io_base;

    extern io_base_t ioremap(unsigned long addr, unsigned long len);
    extern unsigned char readb(io_base_t base, unsigned int offset);

    but while I'd potentially like to see that I also wonder about just the
    pain of doing the conversion.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.023 / U:15.220 seconds]