    SubjectRe: Anti-SPAM Suggestion...

    Due to the very much INFREQUENCY of attacks like this to the l-k
    mailing list, I don't think ANY action is necessary. The mere
    THOUGHT of such action is totally the opposite mindset of what we
    stand for entirely anyways.

    Something to ponder:

    A school bus is riding a bunch of children home. One of the kids
    on the bus thinks it would be funny if he pokes his friend in
    front of him in the bum with his freshly sharpened pencil. A car
    races in front of the school bus at 80km/h, and the school bus
    driver slams on the breaks. The kid with the pencil is shot
    forwards quickly, and his sharp pencil stabs the kid in front of
    him in the arse. It goes in DEEP and hits some internal organs.
    The kid is rushed to the hospital, and the injury is taken care
    of. The parents of the child sue the school board, and bus
    company, the driver, and anyone else that could possibly have
    money to rake. There is a government inquiry into this, and
    public outrage. The government passes a new law that makes it
    illegal for pencils, pens, and other sharp objects to be allowed
    outside a pencil case on all school buses in the county.

    Sound strange to you? Sound rediculous? How could the
    government POSSIBLY police this? How could they know if someone
    has a pencil? Would they actually charge a 8 year old kid with
    "Subsection 253 subparagraph 3 - Pencil out of case on
    schoolbus"? This law is not only rediculous, but it is a TOTAL
    WASTE of taxpayers money, and is 100% unenforceable. It carries
    NO meaning.

    Why did I mention any of this? Because it is a TRUE STORY. The
    above story I heard on CBC radio about a year or so ago. It
    happened somewhere in the states, however I don't recall where.
    If you're interested in verifying it, I'm sure it is on the
    internet somewhere, most possibly on CNN, or some other large
    site. The point however is that when we "pass laws" of "make
    rules and regulations" we often do not solve the problem at all
    anyways.

    For any solution to the problem of l-k being signed on to various
    mailing lists, I can think of 10 new WORSE problems that it
    causes. Problems that either affect me directly, or will affect
    many others on the list, or both.

    Lets just get back to business here, FRY the idiot's internet
    access account through the proper channels, and if necessary,
    press charges if any such laws that allow such apply. I would
    consider the attacks to be of the sort that attempt to bring a
    computer system down. "Computer vandalism" if you will.

    Leave the working system WORKING. Change the system, and watch
    it break. The likelyhood of this kind of problem becoming a
    regular occurance on l-k is next to nil. I'm sure all of you
    polititcians out there will love to fix the problem - each in a
    way that is acceptable to yourself with complete disregard to
    everyone else and the problems they now face such as not having
    web browser access all the time, or not wanting to bother with
    web forms (I know I *WILL* *NOT*). Not all systems even HAVE a
    browser on them, nor even CAN have. Not all machines are running
    on x86 hardware you know...

    Anyways, go on and argue about this for a month or so. Maybe the
    arguing will generate even more email than the combined sum of
    all of the list subscriptions would anyways.

    Something else to think about: Even though l-k got subscribed to
    200 mailing lists or whatever, I've yet to see a SINGLE posting
    from ANY of those mailing lists actually enter the l-k mailing
    list and get exploded. So either l-k is configured in some
    miraculous way to drop such garbage on the floor, or else the
    maintainers at vger are incredibly quick and on their toes.

    Keep up the good work vger! And don't change a thing, it works
    great!

    --
    Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
    Computer Consultant GNU advocate

    Need a room? Rooms Plus Travel Guide http://www.roomsplus.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:4.696 / U:0.048 seconds]