SubjectRe: Anti-SPAM Suggestion...
On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Chuck Mead wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Rik van Riel spewed into the bitstream:
>
> > On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, ben fleis wrote:
> >
> > > your description is slightly confusing to me. Do you mean
> > > (1) Either be on the list OR post with [lk], or
> > > (2) Be on the list AND post with [lk]?
> >
> > There's another possibility (in use with some of the mailing
> > lists I'm on).
> >
> > Subscribed users (or a selected subset thereof) can freely post
> > to the list and all other posts to the list are moderated.
> >
> > Since 90% of the traffic seems to come from regulars, it doesn't
> > put too much of a load on the moderators (volunteers??? preferably
> > in 4 or 5 different timezones) and it really keeps the list clean.
>
> I audit the list as I'm certainly not a kernel hacker... I just need to know
> what's going on... I'd have time to handle some of this and it certainly
> wouldn't take time away from hacking!

As I see it, basically if I send mail to linux-kernel@vgerxxx, it should
be "refused", not simply received and ignored, if I haven't subscribed
to the list. This should stop automatic mail senders from sending again.

If I run a mail-sender, sex.porno.org, I of course could subscribe to
the list. However, a periodic review of the subscribers by a person
could uncover this kind of abuse. Since the list is huge, this would
require work to be spread out over a period of time so the reviewer(s)
would have to keep track of the last email addresses reviewed.

This is a lot of work. However, certain helpers could be emailed
sections of the list periodically by the moderator. They could edit
the section at their leisure, and send the edited section back to the
moderator.

If I were to get a copy of a section weekly, I could certainly
review/edit it and send it back. I'm sure there are a few hundred
others who would volunteer also.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
**** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED ****
Penguin : Linux version 2.3.13 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:1.234 / U:0.016 seconds]