SubjectRe: Anti-SPAM Suggestion...
Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, ben fleis wrote:
>
> > your description is slightly confusing to me. Do you mean
> > (1) Either be on the list OR post with [lk], or
> > (2) Be on the list AND post with [lk]?
>
> There's another possibility (in use with some of the mailing
> lists I'm on).
>
> Subscribed users (or a selected subset thereof) can freely post
> to the list and all other posts to the list are moderated.
>
> Since 90% of the traffic seems to come from regulars, it doesn't
> put too much of a load on the moderators (volunteers??? preferably
> in 4 or 5 different timezones) and it really keeps the list clean.

This sounds like the best option I've heard. Just to expand on this a bit,
maybe there should be some way to register an email address to get approved to
post to linux-kernel without actually subscribing.

A sort of 'half-subscription' option for people who post to linux-kernel, but
don't want to receive linux-kernel email (people with more than one email
address who are already subscribed on one especially).

Anyone who is subscribed or registered to post bypasses moderators while those
unregistered hit moderators. I'm not too sure how this mailing list works, but
when a moderated post is denied, a bounce message should be generated as some
mailing list software will automatically unsubscribe a person on bounce.

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson : http://jordy.wserv.com
Web Services, Inc. : http://www.wserv.com