SubjectRe: Spam-Problem (evil solution)
On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Robert Bowles wrote:

> Solutions that I've seen, though well thought out, all
> have their flaws. Here are a few scenarios:
>
> 1. Filtering Mechanisms
> Many of these are complex. Most can be circumvented.

Of course most can be circumvented, however, it would
actually take some intelligence and effort. This kid wasn't
using either. He subscribed the list to a bunch of idiot
mailing lists. That could have been avoided. Yes, if he
had been more intelligent he could have done many much more
malicious things, that's not what we're trying to protect
against, that would take more work than is worthwhile. We're
simply trying to come up w/ a simple system where at least
the kiddies can't so easily irritate quite so many people.

Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.072 / U:2.124 seconds]