    Subjectalternatives to ioctl
    I am thinking about using ioctls to "reset" a char device but I have been
    reading that ioctls are only in linux. I'd like to make the interface to
    my driver as portable as possiable so this seems like a bad idea. What
    other userland interfaces exist. It seems as though I can read and write
    froma char device and thats about all that is standard. this would mean
    I would have to do some sort of a parse for a special character. Also,
    ioctls seem to have assigned numbers. If it is a new device type can I
    just use my own?

    Where is there a good primer on ioctl. Both in its use in programs and in
    drivers.

    from what I gather when my deivce gets an ioctl call my ioctl function
    will be called and i will get an argument that the program in user space
    specified. Is this correct?
    Keith Baker

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.019 / U:61.948 seconds]