    SubjectRe: Kernel Panic, root fs..
    Hi Dan.

    >>> Perhaps the kernel could be a bit more verbose here.

    >> And what *should* it say?

    > In the case of -ENODEV, the kernel would spit out

    > <QUOTE>
    > Kernel Panic: Couldnt mount /dev/sda1 on root fs, perhaps you forgot to
    > compile in scsi support?
    > </QUOTE>

    Several have already dealt with why this won't work, so I won't add to

    > An alternative would be for "make zImage" or lilo to bitch at
    > you that you dont have kernel modules/kernel support for the
    > root device.

    How does "make zImage" or "make bzImage" know what the root device is
    anyway? Remember that the machine we're compiling on may not be the
    target machine - and we may even be compiling a kernel with which to
    netboot some machines without any drives of their own...

    Best wishes from Riley.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.022 / U:12.180 seconds]