SubjectRe: Thread debugging cause unknow signal ? with gdb 4.18 and libc6 2.1.2-0pre7

I've been actively debugging applications using linuxthreads with gdb.

I've got GNU gdb 4.17.0.11 with Linux support, RH 6.0 distro.

The man page for gdb is incomplete, the info pages are more complete,
search on /thread/.

-Richard

Raphael Bossek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it is inpossible to me debug (gdb 4.18) my thread application that base on
> linuxthreads (libpthread from libc6 2.1.2-0pre7). gdb does not recognize
> thread creation (pthread_create) and receive unknown signal :-( The gdb output
> is the following:
> Pgoram received signal ?, Unknown signal.
> 0x4004814a in sigsuspend() from /lib/libc.so.6
>
> The application is really simple (from Pthread Programming, O'Reilly). Two
> threads printf different text and the main application wait for them to
> exit. The application works fine but i would like test the debugging
> possibilities of Linux before start a bigger project that need thread debuging
> functionality !
>
> A look into the gdb documentation showed that gdb should support multiple
> thread applications but why doesn't it work with my system configuration
> (Debian GNU/Linux Potato; Kernel 2.2.10; non SMP) ?! I never tried this with
> earlier versions of libraries or applications.
>
> Any kind of help is welcome :-)
>
> cu Raphael Bossek <raphael.bossek@solutions4linux.de>
>
> --
> Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net