SubjectRe: hdd & sound
On 13 Aug 1999, Doug McNaught wrote:

> I've been meaning to post on this issue for the last week or so. I'm
> seeing system lockups when playing MP3 files off an IDE CDROM. The
> system configuration is as follows:

This isn't the same problem... nobody else is reporting lockups AFAIK.

> When I play MP3's off the CDROM under 2.2.5-15 (Redhat Stock kernel) I
> get a lot of skips, especially when switching virtual desktops under
> X. The system works fine otherwise (I'm currently running the stock
> kernel).

The skupping problem is known. Bump the priority of the mp3 player up a
bit and see if that helps.

> With later kernels (I've tried 2.2.10-ac8, 2.2.11pre4, and 2.2.11pre7)
> I get the same skipping behavior, plus the system seems to lock up
> completely for up to thirty seconds at a time--no mouse movement,
> nothing. If I switch out of X to VC1 I often see SCSI BUS
> timeouts/resets, even though the I/O for the MP3 is coming from the
> IDE CDROM. The system is otherwise idle. Eventually the system hangs
> completely, and I have to hit reset and fsck. If I don't play MP3's
> the later kernels seem OK (though I haven't done extensive testing).
>
> It seems strange to me that I get SCSI timeouts only when doing
> semi-heavy IDE I/O. I've heard the Adaptec U2W cards are still a bit
> flaky under Linux--could this be part of the problem?

Very probably. It sounds more like a SCSI problem than a sound one,
BICBW. Other people have been seeing problems with SCSI stuff recently,
but I haven't really been following it since my SCSI is very happy.

--
Mike <rickettm@ox.compsoc.net>

The trouble is, there is an endless supply of White Men, but there has
always been a limited number of Human Beings.
-- Little Big Man

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.095 / U:0.412 seconds]